MERIDA AND BEYOND
Merida is… “Mexico’s cultural center, home to magnificent colonial architecture and a true Latin-American atmosphere.”
- Head to Cancun and Progreso for sun, sea, sand and buzzing nightlife
- Explore the amazing ancient Mayan ruins at Chichen Itza
- Swim in other-worldly water-filled caves the region is famed for
- The people of Merida are incredibly friendly and will proudly share with you to the stunning cultural center they live in
- Intensive Spanish Week: Brush up on Spanish on this week-long course designed to help you get the most from your experience by focusing on clinical words and phrases
TEAM AND ACCOMMODATION
In Merida, the Work the World house is in a trendy suburban location. The building is typical of the area's architectural style, and the space inside is welcoming. The dining room, bedrooms and lounge areas offer plenty of room to relax and socialize with your new housemates.
Our expert Program manager and their assistant look after the house, providing 24/7 support for anything and everything you might need. The house chef will prepare two incredible meals each-day (weekly BBQ nights included). There’s also a housekeeper and a language teacher who hosts twice-weekly lessons.
INTENSIVE SPANISH COURSE
Our specially designed one week Intensive Spanish Course helps you get the best experience from your placement in Merida. If your Spanish is a little rusty, our program will bring you up to a basic conversational level geared towards your clinical experience. The course’s structure focuses on both small group sessions and one-to-one tutorials with healthcare in mind. You’ll learn specific language relevant to the departments you’ll be working in, but also handy day-to-day phrases for when you’re out and about.
Electives in this destination
"Many patients who needed the hospital made less than 100 Pesos per day. A basic eye ultrasound cost 800 Pesos."
Akash Dharni, University of Leeds 2018Read more
"There was no pain relief for women in labour—no epidurals, no gas and air, nothing."
Emma Knights, University of East Anglia 2018Read more
"I’m so much more comfortable being myself now, and I feel stronger and more confident as a person."
Refa Begum, Cardiff University 2018Read more
"I saw a lot of manual treatment due to a lack of equipment."
Amy Richards, Cardiff University 2018Read more