Takoradi and Beyond
- Takoradi is… “A coastal port city in Western Ghana, with local beaches and colorful markets that are a riot of colors and sounds.”
- Swim beneath cascading waterfalls in the Volta region, and explore treetop walkways in Kakum National Park
- Canoe through the jungle to visit a stilt village on a lake
- Lay your towel on the palm-fringed beach at Axim, or stretch out on Cape Coast’s sands
- Mingle with locals in buzzing markets, where food, shopping and socializing are a bigpart of Ghanaian culture
- Village Healthcare Week: Stay on for another week and experience the healthcare and local life of a rural village
ACCOMMODATION AND TEAM
In Takoradi you'll live in our traditional Ghanaian house. It has large living spaces including a lounge, dining room, kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms and balconies. A great place to relax after a day at the hospital, the outdoor area has leafy gardens, where you can chill-out, read a book, play volleyball, or chat with housemates. It’s also a great location for our weekly house BBQ nights.
The experienced program team oversee the running of the house, providing 24/7 support. Also at the house, your chef cooks two group meals a day, and our housekeeper takes care of the cleaning. We also work with a local language teacher, who hosts twice-weekly lessons.
VILLAGE HEALTHCARE WEEK
Adding a whole new dimension to your clinical internship in Ghana, our village healthcare week is an opportunity to experience everyday life and healthcare provision in a busy rural fishing village. You’ll be assisting at the village Healthcare Centre and visiting local primary schools in the mornings. Staying far from any tourist centers, you’ll experience Ghanaian culture at it's most authentic.
In the afternoon you can paddle across the nearby lagoon in a hand-built canoe, help fishermen bring in the daily catch, or walk through the shallows to a local offshore island and ruined castle. There are also coastal trails with unspoiled beaches along the way. This experience really is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and the perfect ending to your healthcare internship in Ghana.
Placements in Ghana - Takoradi
"I saw quite a few cases that I had only learned about in textbooks up until this placement."
Mohamad Abu Sharkh, Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry 2018Read more
"A lack of modern technology and a scarcity of resources separated their standard of care from ours."
Hope Bauer, Michigan State University 2018Read more
Being on placement in a different country made me appreciate the NHS more than ever.
Charlotte Cox, Anglia Ruskin University 2018Read more
"Life in the Work the World house was a unique experience"
Thomas Ayre, Northumbria University 2018Read more
"Now, a year later, I still often think back on my time in Ghana and I know for certain I will go back."
Saskia Veldkamp, 2018Read more