Takoradi and Beyond
- Takoradi is… “A coastal port city in Western Ghana, with local beaches and colorful markets that are a riot of colors and sounds.”
- Swim beneath cascading waterfalls in the Volta region, and explore treetop walkways in Kakum National Park
- Canoe through the jungle to visit a stilt village on a lake
- Lay your towel on the palm-fringed beach at Axim, or stretch out on Cape Coast’s sands
- Mingle with locals in buzzing markets, where food, shopping and socializing are a bigpart of Ghanaian culture
- Village Healthcare Week: Stay on for another week and experience the healthcare and local life of a rural village
ACCOMMODATION AND TEAM
In Takoradi you'll live in our traditional Ghanaian house. It has large living spaces including a lounge, dining room, kitchen, bedrooms, bathrooms and balconies. A great place to relax after a day at the hospital, the outdoor area has leafy gardens, where you can chill-out, read a book, play volleyball, or chat with housemates. It’s also a great location for our weekly house BBQ nights.
The experienced program team oversee the running of the house, providing 24/7 support. Also at the house, your chef cooks two group meals a day, and our housekeeper takes care of the cleaning. We also work with a local language teacher, who hosts twice-weekly lessons.
VILLAGE HEALTHCARE WEEK
Adding a whole new dimension to your clinical internship in Ghana, our village healthcare week is an opportunity to experience everyday life and healthcare provision in a busy rural fishing village. You’ll be assisting at the village Healthcare Centre and visiting local primary schools in the mornings. Staying far from any tourist centers, you’ll experience Ghanaian culture at it's most authentic.
In the afternoon you can paddle across the nearby lagoon in a hand-built canoe, help fishermen bring in the daily catch, or walk through the shallows to a local offshore island and ruined castle. There are also coastal trails with unspoiled beaches along the way. This experience really is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and the perfect ending to your healthcare internship in Ghana.
Placements in Ghana - Takoradi
"If you are contemplating a Midwifery elective with Work the World… stop reading, and start planning!"
Carleen Simpson, Swansea University 2017Read more
"My advice to anyone considering a trip with Work the World is: make it happen".
Sarah Mabbott, Bournemouth University 2017Read more
"The village week is a must. It was truly the highlight of my whole trip to Ghana."
CLAIRE DYER, King's College London 2017Read more
"The experience gave me more passion to do the best I could for the patients I came across."
EVA DE GEUS, 2017Read more
"I saw my first ever birth – which was then followed by six more – a definite highlight!"
Natalie Sampson, University of Southampton 2016Read more