Iloilo and Beyond
- Iloilo is… “A welcoming city with festivals, colonial-era buildings, modern malls, and great local beaches.”
- Hop across to Boracay Island for the watersports, or head off on an adventure to the unspoiled Gigantes Islands
- Cross the Strait to Guimaras Island and hike through mango plantations, or discover forests and fire-heated ‘kawa baths’ in the mountainous Antique region
- Meet Iloilo’s open-hearted locals, who are friendly, good-natured, and always smiling
- Village Healthcare Week: An incredible addition to your main placement, you could add a week on the Ati tribe’s island, experiencing local healthcare and culture.
accommodation and team
Just north of the Iloilo River, our Work the World accommodation sits in an affluent area of the city. The sunsets are stunning from our rooftop terrace, and the house has great views of historic Molo Church, and out to towards Guimaras Island. Split across three floors there’s lots of space to relax and socialize in the well-furnished living spaces and dining room.
Here for round-the-clock support, our Iloilo Program Manager runs the house with the help of an assistant. Our housekeeper takes care of the cleaning, and we have a fantastic chef who cooks two meals each day, plus a BBQ night each week. Also part of the team, our local language teacher delivers in-house lessons twice a week.
VILLAGE HEALTHCARE WEEK
This optional week gives you an incredible opportunity to live on a tropical island as part of the Ati tribe. Here, you'll meet the tribal Chief and experience the island's healthcare, culture, and cuisine.
Each morning, you’ll visit the local clinic and district hospital, observing how illnesses are treated and managed with the island’s limited resources — this guarantees to be a very different experience from your city based healthcare internship. Afternoons are spent doing local activities like creating handicrafts and herbal medicines, as well as island hopping and playing traditional games. At the end of your stay, a BBQ and traditional dancing ceremony make for a very special end to your clinical internship.
Internships in the Philippines - Iloilo
"In the rehabilitation center, I saw things I had never seen during my training in Belgium..."
Anouk Vertonghen, 2018Read more
"You’ll look back on this part of your university life and think, ‘I wish I could go and do it all again’"
Jahrell Romain, University of Hertfordshire 2018Read more
Going abroad on my own was one of the scariest choices I have ever made. But it turned out to be the most rewarding experience I have ever had.
Colette McGreevy, Manchester Metropolitan University 2018Read more
"The Philippines is, without a doubt, my favourite country..."
Niamh Doran, Dundee University 2018Read more
"Life in the village exceeded my every expectation. My advice, if you’re considering a week in the village? Do it."
Radha Mehta - VILLAGE HEALTHCARE EXPERIENCE, University of Plymouth 2018Read more