Kandy and Beyond
- Kandy is… “The cultural capital and a sacred Buddhist city. Set beside a lake, it’s surrounded by lush green tea hills.”
- Journey to Sigiriya Rock and climb to the UNESCO-listed fortress for dramatic views
- Stretch out on white-sand beaches, go surfing in warm waters, and head off on safari to spot wild elephants
- Spend time with the Kandyans, sharing their rich culture and learning about their age-old traditions
- Ayurveda Week: Add an extra week to your stay in Sri Lanka to learn about herbal medicine at a traditional Ayurvedic clinic in a remote rural village.
Accommodation and team
Set in a secluded residential area, our Kandy house has a large rooftop with stunning views of Kandy Lake and the green hills beyond. Big and airy, the house has a great feeling of space and is a relaxing place to socialize and chat in the evenings with new friends. We also have a dining room for communal meals, and comfy sofas in the lounge areas.
24/7 support is provided by your Program Manager and their assistant. They also look after the day-to-day running of the house, along with your housekeeper, chef, and language teacher who visits twice a week for lessons. The chef cooks two tasty meals a day and lays on a fantastic BBQ night each week – always good fun!
In addition to your main placement in Kandy, spending a week with a master Ayurveda practitioner offers a once in a lifetime experience. In a remote village, accompanied by a guide, you’ll learn the ancient art of Ayurveda, or ‘tree medicine’, from a master healer.
You’ll work with a traditional Ayurveda healer who has knowledge that has been passed down for generations. You will assist him diagnose and treat ailments, and learn how to create Ayurveda medicines from plants and barks found in the jungle. In the afternoons you’ll take ox and cart rides, visit Ayurveda spas for full body massages, swim in the nearby lake at sunset, and a whole lot more.
Placements in Sri Lanka - Kandy
"This whole experience puts your career and life into perspective."
Sophie Sheard, Sheffield Hallam University 2018Read more
"If you’re considering travelling with Work the World, go for it! When are you going to have this opportunity again?"
Joanne Tomlin, University of Lincoln 2018Read more
"It was incredible to see how different theatres in Sri Lanka were compared to the UK."
Umisha Nardani, King's College London 2018Read more
"The whole experience surpassed my expectations."
Syreeta Williams, St George's, University of London 2018Read more
"The Ayurvedic Week was an experience unlike any available anywhere. This alone more than justified my choice of Sri Lanka for a placement."
John Wilkinson, King's College London 2018Read more