Dar es Salaam and beyond
- Dar es Salaam is… “A teeming metropolis with a melting pot of African, Indian, Arabic, and German influences”
- Dar es Salaam has relaxing bars, great live music, tasty cuisine, and colorful bazaars that brim with handicrafts
- Safari across the savannah and spot everything from leopards and lions, to buffalo and baboons
- Visit Zanzibar and dive, swim or kite-surf off the coast, then lay your towel on the island’s shimmering white sands
- Welcoming and open, with a diverse blend of backgrounds, the people of ‘Dar’ will greet you with a friendly ‘jambo!’
- Village Healthcare Week: Extend your stay with a week in a remote mountain community, learning about culture and healthcare in rural Tanzania.
Accommodation and team
The Work the World house is close to the beach, with two private cottages for the bedrooms, while the main building is the central hub for meals, socializing and recounting weekend travel and placement experiences. There's plenty of space to relax, or socialise in the evenings.
Managed by an in-country Program Manager and their assistant, the house includes a housekeeper, a chef, and a local language teacher who gives lessons twice a week. The management team provides 24/7 support, and our chef cooks two delicious meals a day. Hosted every week, our BBQ night is a great time to get together and have fun.
VILLAGE HEALTHCARE WEEK
This week-long experience gives you the opportunity to live in a rural community near the Uluguru Mountains. Completely different from clinical internship in Dar es Salaam, this is a chance to add a fascinating new dimension to your healthcare experience.
Each morning, you’ll be placed in a busy primary healthcare clinic, supporting the staff and observing how healthcare is managed. Afternoons will be spent visiting local waterfalls, schools, and sugar cane plantations, learn traditional drumming and dancing, and experience rural life — this truly is a once-in-a-lifetime experience.
Placements in Tanzania - Dar es Salaam
"I wanted to do something out of the ordinary, challenge myself, explore another culture and experience nursing in a low-resource setting."
Gemma Sale, University of Birmingham 2017Read more
"I cannot thank the team at the hospital and Work the World enough for giving me this amazing, life changing experience and friendships that will last a lifetime! It was truly perfect!"
Emily Ware, University of Greenwich 2017Read more
"It really is an experience you will never forget."
Annelot Lourijsen - VILLAGE HEALTHCARE EXPERIENCE, 2017Read more
"I would definitely recommend a Work the World placement. I’d go back to Dar es Salaam tomorrow if I could."
Rachael Bowis, Manchester Metropolitan University 2017Read more
"I highly recommend a Work the World overseas placement".
Tamalee Henson, University of Western Australia 2017Read more