ANURADHAPURA AND BEYOND
- Anuradhapura is… ‘A beautiful city, with World Heritage ruins, ancient archeology, and Buddhist dagobas.’
- Receive spiritual blessings from local monks and enter the city’s ancient candlelit temples after dark
- Learn how to pick tea in emerald-green plantations, ride on historic trains through misty hills, and look for wild elephants as you safari through the national parks
- Spot sea turtles, swim with reef sharks, and soak up the rays on stunning Sri Lankan beaches
- Look forward to a warm welcome from Sri Lanka’s friendly people and enjoy some of the best cuisine
- Ayurveda Week: Stay-on for an extra week and visit a remote Sri Lankan village to learn about traditional herbal medicine in an Ayurvedic clinic.
HOME AWAY FROM HOME
Our Work the World house sits on a tree-lined street in one of Anuradhapura's charming neighborhoods. On the ground floor there's an indoor courtyard, while the outdoor rooftop is a great place to chill out in a hammock, relax with a good book, and chat with housemates about your clinical internship. The bedrooms and social areas are comfortable and well furnished, and the house has a fun and vibrant atmosphere.
Our Anuradhapura Program Manager and their assistant are in charge of running the house and providing 24/7 support. Our housekeeper takes care of the cleaning, and our excellent in-house chef cooks up two meals a day, plus a fantastic weekly BBQ night – always a highlight! Twice a week, our local language teacher visits the house to give lessons.
A fantastic addition to your city-based placement in Anuradhapura, our week-long experience offers you a chance to experience one of the world’s oldest holistic healing systems.
Throughout Sri Lanka, Ayurveda and other traditional forms of healthcare are practiced alongside modern medicine. You’ll learn all about this ancient art during morning visits to a small rural clinic. You’ll discover how local plants and barks are used by a skilled local healer to create and administer Ayurveda medicines and treatments. Your afternoons are spent taking part in cultural activities. These could include massages at Ayurveda spas, canoe trips through dense jungle and wild elephant safaris.
Placements in Sri Lanka - Anuradhapura
"I would strongly advise you do a placement with Work the World. It was an experience I will never forget!"
Phyllida Monroe, King's College London 2018Read more
"Everything I experienced was so memorable. One particular highlight was witnessing my first natural birth, then helping with the care of the mother and baby."
Sarah Turner, Cardiff University 2018Read more
"While we were on placement we saw a groundbreaking leg transplant. A young farmer needed a new leg after being involved in an RTA..."
Keira Gee and Maddi Rosindale, University of Lincoln 2018Read more
"Both the team and the other students I met in Sri Lanka became like a second family to me..."
Rebecca McGrath, Australian Catholic University 2018Read more
"My trip to Sri Lanka was just incredible. I learnt so much and made some incredible new friends along the way."
Erica Patterson, Monash University 2018Read more